Can stress cause teeth grinding?
Grinding tends to occur subconsciously, often while we sleep, and is thought to be linked to stress and anxiety. Some possible causes are:
- Emotional stress
- Mental concentration
- Physical illness
- Certain medications.
Some signs that you’re clenching and grinding your teeth:
- Headache, jaw joint or ear pain
- Sensitive teeth, especially upon waking
- Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joints, neck or shoulders
- Tooth indentations on your tongue or cheek.
Treatment options for teeth grinding
- Anti-inflammatory pain relief
- Stress management techniques
- Using a custom-fitted nightguard.
Nightguards at Health Partners Dental
How does it work?
Wearing a nightguard while you sleep can help ease your pain and protect your teeth from damage done by grinding and clenching.
How’s it fitted?
Your Health Partners Dentist will:
- Examine your teeth and determine if a nightguard is the best solution for you.
- Take impressions of your upper and lower teeth and bite to create the nightguard.
- Book a follow-up appointment to provide you with your nightguard and check it fits correctly.
Click here for more info on nightguards.