What’s a nightguard?
It’s a protective device for your mouth that covers your teeth and gums.
How a custom-fitted nightguard can help teeth grinding
Wearing a nightguard while you sleep can help ease your pain and protect your teeth from damage done by grinding and clenching.
How’s it fitted?
Your Health Partners Dentist will:
- Examine your teeth and determine if a nightguard is the best solution for you.
- Take impressions of your upper and lower teeth and bite to create the nightguard.
- Book a follow-up appointment to provide you with your nightguard and check it fits correctly.
How to clean your nightguard
- Rinse your nightguard before and after use, every night.
- Wash it only with soap and in cold or lukewarm water.
- Clean the inner surface with a soft toothbrush or nailbrush after wear.
- Store in a clean, rigid and ventilated plastic container.
- Keep it away from sunlight and heat to ensure it doesn’t lose shape.
- At your regular dental check-ups, ask your dentist to check your nightguard for any signs of wear and tear.
Are over-the-counter nightguards good to use?
Over-the-counter nightguards are generally less effective and can be uncomfortable to wear.