This recipe for sweet potatoes stuffed with a black bean braise and apple salsa is both colourful and nutritionally rich. Why not try it tonight?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Prick the sweet potatoes and place on a baking tray. Transfer to the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the white part of the spring onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
3. Add garlic, coriander stems, paprika and cumin and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
4. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir through black beans.
5. Combine cabbage, cucumber, radish, apple, green part of the spring onions, coriander leaves and the lime juice in a bowl.
6. Cut a slit down the middle of the sweet potatoes. Serve sweet potatoes topped with black beans and apple salsa.
Cooking Tip: Make the most of fresh herbs by using the leaves and stems. While the leaves add colour and freshness when plating up, the stems can be finely chopped and used during cooking to build flavour.
Nutrition Tip: Legumes, like black beans, chickpeas and lentils, have multiple health benefits. They are high in protein which keeps you fuller for longer, and are a great source of soluble fibre which can lower blood cholesterol levels and improve gut health.
Keeping kids entertained at home
During school holidays, kids at home might be looking for things to do. As a parent, (especially one working from home), you might be looking for ways to keep the kids entertained and educated.
Tuscan cannellini bean and chorizo pasta
Masterchef finalist Callum Hann, and accredited dietitian Themis Chryssidis share a simple twist to an all time favourite.