- Happy members that stay
- Big Benefits
- Not for Profit
- Covered Australia-wide
Chorizo and Spanish baked eggs
Posted 2 May 2019
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced thinly
- 3 spring onions, green stems reserved
- ½ carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 400g jar tomato passata
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 eggs
- 20g parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ bunch parsley, leaves picked, to serve
- Toasted ciabatta or your favourite bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry chorizo until golden, then add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until spring onion softens.
- Stir in paprika, fennel seeds and then add tomato passata. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened and slightly darker in colour. Stir in beans.
- Transfer mixture to an oven-proof dish. Make four divots in the mixture and crack an egg into each. Transfer dish to the oven and bake for 12-18 minutes or until eggs are just set.
- Top with grated parmesan and parsley leaves then serve with toasted ciabatta.
This recipe makes for an easy make-ahead breakfast, lunch or dinner. Have the tomato mixture cooked, so when you’re ready to eat all you need to do is add the eggs and bake.
Eggs are a great source of protein, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D and choline.