- Happy members that stay
- Big Benefits
- Not for Profit
- Covered Australia-wide
Thai pumpkin, ginger and coconut soup
Posted 21 May 2019
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg Butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 3 Stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1 Brown onion, finely diced
- 5cm Piece of ginger, skin removed, roughly chopped
- 5 Cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fish or soy sauce
- 400g Can coconut milk
- 1L Reduced-salt chicken or vegetable stock
- Crusty bread, to serve
- 1 Long red chilli, sliced thinly, to serve
- ¼ Bunch mint, leaves picked, to serve
- Heat oil in a large stockpot. Add pumpkin and cook for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Add lemongrass, onion, ginger and garlic.
- Once the onion has softened, add fish or soy sauce, coconut milk (reserve ¼ cup to serve), and stock and simmer the soup until the pumpkin is soft.
- Puree soup in a blender (in batches if required) until smooth. Serve with crusty bread, sliced chilli and mint leaves.
Double your recipe. Soups are easy to make in large batches and are one of the most freezer-friendly meals going around.
Pre-made soups often have too much salt. When cooking your own at home, use aromatic ingredients like lemongrass, ginger and garlic to add flavour without relying on salt.